I have resolved to undertaking a reading challenge this Summer — it’s a challenge that I have designed myself, and with any luck, will broaden my literary exposure spectrum. If you’d like to participate, I’d love to have a support system and encouragement as I go along.
The challenge is to read 15 books this Summer, an ambitious pace to a lot of folks, myself included. The rules are simple: only one book can satisfy one category. I’m going for diversity and a broad spectrum of books.
So, here’s the categories to be met:
- A romance novel
- A mystery novel
- A sci-fi novel
- A book randomly selected by a bookstore clerk or librarian
- A book assigned to high schoolers
- Any novella
- A “classic” book
- A book selected by a friend
- A book selected by a stranger
- A book in a genre that you typically don’t read
- A book meant for kids (young adult counts!)
- Read a book in one sitting
- A book of poems
- A book that has been banned from schools or libraries
- A book longer than 70,000 words
I’ll let you know how I did on the second week of September! Wish me luck!
I designed this challenge to make myself a more complete reader — there are a lot of times where I feel like I cheated myself out of a lot of reading experience because I was stubborn and didn’t want to go with the flow. Essentially, I’m making up for lost time.
I hope to see you with me!
One thought on “My Summer Reading Challenge!”
No thanks, but good luck!