Holy S^&*! We have a holiday?! That’s awesome!!! …I’m still scheduled for work? But that’s okay! We have a holiday and we should be celebrating! That’s right folks, November 1st is National Author’s Day!
Who should be celebrating? Um, everyone! Do you have a favorite author? Have you ever written anything? Do you hold yourself in high esteem as a writer? Do you hold yourself in low esteem as a writer? Grab a party hat and let’s get some noise citations!
So that we can clear out some of the guilt that you may be having, what qualifies someone as an author? According to Dictionary.Com:
- a person who writes a novel, poem, essay, etc.; the composer of a literary work, as distinguished from a compiler, translator, editor, or copyist.
- the literary production or productions of a writer: to find a passage in an author.
- the maker of anything; creator; originator: the author of a new tax plan.
That’s it. Whether you are traditionally published or self published, represented by a literary agent or independent, writing for traditional mediums or electronic; the moment you create original text for consumption, you are an author!
I’ve come to realize that a lot of you don’t come to my blog for sense and sensibility, but for the mayhem and absurdity, and I’m alright with that. One of the burning questions on my mind is, how am I going to celebrate? Here are my plans, to date:
- It’s the first day of National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo), and I’d like to make a big impact on my word count early!
- It’s Friday night, the day after Halloween — likely, I’ll be putting the decorations in my yard away, admonishing the inanimate objects that they never do what they were told and what would the neighbors think if they found out about all the break ins …loudly.
- I haven’t played a game of chance for the ownership of my immortal soul in a while, so that’s an option.
- I may start a political party, the Satirists, where we turn every question in a debate into something off topic and fantastic …you know, like the other ones do!
- I may trade lives with a hippie for the evening, just so that I can understand the other side of the fence for a while.
- Walk into a big box retailer wearing a suit, try to convince everyone that I am the CEO, and get them to finally show me where they keep all the good merchandise they are hiding for their friends.
Most likely, I will be enveloped in writing, as it is the act that brings me the most fulfillment in my life.
Now, you may be asking yourself: what can I do for my favorite author to show them how much I care about them and enjoy their work? The answer is simple: Leave them a review on a website! Your reviews make or break our business and they go a long way to keep us going!
I would like to make the official decree that National Author’s Day shouldn’t just be an American holiday — I would like to invite my international scribes from other tribes to celebrate Author’s Day with me! We can’t exclude Canada, Mexico, the European Authors, the Asian Authors, our South American siblings, certainly not Australia, and those in Antarctica (if you exist).
Enjoy your day, Authors, you’ve earned it!