By now, it’s universally agreed that 2020 was a leaking bag of crap. It would be tacky to go on a rant about it now. What I will do is declare that 2021 will not suck by any such metric. This year I am dedicated to getting my much more slender ass to the beaches of North Carolina. I’m going to get sunburnt, I am going to get water in my ears, and I am going to fall in love with the sound of the water hitting the sand again.
As a storyteller, I am all about setting a mood, good or bad. One of the easiest ways to pull at the heartstrings during a yarn is to use sounds or music. Being that I am so dedicated to such an emotional summer, I found it only fitting to put together a playlist I can listen to on the beach, while I’m just hanging out, or sitting pensively in my writing room, cranking out my latest opus.
I wanted to share this playlist with you, loyal reader, because I always hope the same for you that I wish for myself. Nothing would make me happier than to hear about you sitting outside, a copy of “A Law of Constants” in your hands, just living the best life. For this week’s blog, I am sharing my playlist with you, in hopes we manifest that summer we deserve!
In order of appearance:
- “Hush” – Deep Purple
- “Wherever You Go” – Sublime with Rome
- “Come Original” – 311
- “Two of the Lucky Ones” – the Droge & Summers Band
- “Jane Says” – Jane’s Addiction
- “D’yer Mak’r” – Led Zeppelin
- “Blister in the Sun” – the Violet Femmes
- “Train in Vain” – the Clash
- “The Distance” – Cake
- “Circles” – Soul Coughing
- “Hey Sandy” – Polaris
- “Circle in the Sand” – Belinda Carlisle
- “Roll to Me” – Del Amitri
- “Left of the Dial” – the Replacements
- “Filthy Luck” – Beach Slang
- “Radiation Vibe” – Fountains of Wayne
- “Zephyr Song” – Red Hot Chili Peppers
- “Boyz-n-the Hood” – Dynamite Hack
- “Beer” – Reel Big Fish
- “A Praise Chorus” – Jimmy Eat World
- “Ocean Man” – Ween
- “C’Mon C’Mon” – the Von Bondies
- “Bandages” – Hot Hot Heat
- “Dreaming of You” – the Coral
- “Diamonds and Guns” – the Transplants
- “Tonight, Tonight” – Smashing Pumpkins
- “Alive with the Glory of Love” – Say Anything
- “A Favor House Atlantic” – Coheed and Cambria
- “Crazy” – Gnarls Barkley
- “Sunday Morning” – No Doubt
You can listen to the playlist, in its entirety here: https://spoti.fi/3m16TAX
These decisions are never made easily. I wanted to start the playlist off with something that embodied the vibe I was going for. “Hush,” with its electric organ and “na na na na’s” nailed it. There were some cheap grabs, like “D’Yer Mak’r,” going for the obvious sun and sand sound, but others had their moments of meaning. I included “Wherever You Go,” instead of a more popular Sublime song, because of its vibe and meaning. Songs like “Two of the Lucky Ones” were for the slow moments. “Circle in the Sand” is really off-kilter from my usual tastes, but f*** that, it’s my list.
Here’s to one bitchin’ summer and your next trip across the Millerverse!